Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Green Ideas For A Green Business!

Greenleaf Woodwork's! I've wanted my own business since I earned my first paycheck at my first job at the age of 16. So now that I've invested my life savings and so much time into building my business, I've got to make sure I do it right. So I'm constantly thinking creatively, researching facts and listening to customers/feedback in attempts to maximize my potential and efficiency to build a successful earth conscious and green construction company. There are numerous reasons why it's so difficult to be 100% green. #1. It's expensive. All the new technology such as solar panels, wind turbines, etc... is still fairly expensive. Even recycled material is more expensive than the commonly available materials. So it's hard to convince your customer to spend that extra money on these green materials on an already expensive upgrade such as hardwood floors. #2. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration. I use a lot of different tools, equipment, and materials in my line of work. But I have a long term goal I'm working to achieve which would leave me 100% green and decreases my carbon footprint to almost non-existent or invisible. With that being said, I had a good idea the other day. For every 500 sq. ft. of hardwood I install, I plant a tree seedling to replace the wood I used in installation. I will either plant it on the customers land or my land. So if I install 1500 sq. ft. of walnut, I will plant 3 walnut seedlings wherever the customer prefers. This won't replace the wood immediately but is an extra step I want to take to help restore one of the beautiful resources that mother earth provides us with. This is just one of many ideas I plan to install in my business plan that helps to reduce my footprint. I will continue to add ideas and would love to know what you followers think. I would love to hear your opinions, thought and ideas on this subject. We work together to make a better place for tomorrow and the next day!!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely idea! Keep up the beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete