Friday, March 26, 2010

A Custom Pump House Using Recycled Material
















I was asked to fix the roof on this dilapidated pump house. But convinced the owner to allow me freedom to redesign and rebuild this pump house using recycled material. I kept the carcass of the existing structure. I glued furring strips up using construction adhesive. This allowed me to nail the cedar siding and trim up against the cinder blocks. I designed the roof so that it could be removed, allowing the owner to access the pump. I went dumpster diving and managed to reclaim 75% of the materials used for this custom upgrade. This new pump house is beautiful but also serves a direct purpose. The well pump was freezing due to cold temperatures and lack of insulation. So I used 100% recycled styrofoam sheets to insulate the interior of the pump house, that otherwise would be sitting in a landfill. The cedar siding also provides a thick barrier between the pump and the outside elements. And it looks good. I was amazed at what I was able to use from the leftover trash of a newly built house. Dumpster Diving helps keep landfills cleaner and helps the environment. Dumpster Diving, I approve!

No comments:

Post a Comment