Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cutting Boards From Recycled Flooring


I've been installing and refinishing hardwood floors for over 2 years now. When I lived in Charleston installing & refinishing hardwoods in the oversized houses on Kiawah Island I was e
xposed to some very fine and pricey woods. I was given the opportunity to be able to work with several different species of wood. Domestic hardwoods like white oak, red oak, walnut and american cherry. And imports such as brazilian cherry, cumaru, purlpleheart, santos mahogany and angeline. We refinished a floor that was 4,500 sq ft. of Walnut and every plank was crotch wood. Sanded and coated an entire house of quarter sawn white oak and it had ray fleck running all through it. It was absolutely beautiful. The biggest house we did was 7,500 sq. ft. of walnut (CEO of Procter & Gamble). The house was 9,000+ sq. ft. I'd never seen 7,500 sq. ft. of living space much less that much heart walnut. This was a 7 million dollar house and the floors alone cost half a million dollars. So I was exposed to some very expensive wood and a lot of it. But while the wood was plentiful so was the WASTE. You could build a house with what was thrown in the dumpsters. The clients were extremely picky. They would make us rip up walnut planks because they had too much blonde in it. (Just so you understand, Walnut: the sapwood-the outer wood of the tree is white/blonde. the heartwood-the inner wood,center of the tree is brown/black.) And of course all the boards we pulled up was thrown in the dumpster. So I decided to start dumpster diving and started saving all the wood. After a year of saving, I had a huge pile. So I decided to make butcher blocks and cutting boards from scrap hardwood flooring. I had to de-nail, plane and ripped the wood into strips. Then I glued them up. And when I created was art but remember this is art that was made from trash. It would be in a landfill if it weren't for dumpster diving and recycling. Tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment