Sunday, April 4, 2010

Custom Scrapers

I've thought of something else I could make by using recycled hardwood flooring scraps! Custom Scrapers! When you're sanding hardwood floors, the edger can sand all the way up against the wall. But there is one place it can't get. Corners! So for this you use a scraper and you do it by hand. Every single corner has to be scraped by hand. They make them in different sizes that you can buy but there limited sizes available. So I decided to use some of my flooring remnants and make several different size scrapes that I can use depending on what the job requires. The longer the handle, the more leverage you can get without having to over exert yourself and wear yourself out on the first few corners. Because there are a lot of corners in a house. You never pay attention to them but when you're sanding a floor in a big house, they add up quick. And scraping is tiring. It's hard on the hands, abs, back and knees. But I designed a custom scraper to be more ergonomic. Therefore, it's not as hard on the body, it's designed to let the scraper do the work not you. It's amazing how much of a difference putting a few inches onto the length of the handle makes. I'm making one that is a shorty so that can get into tight spaces and one with a super thin head that can scrape between the balusters on nosing and stair treads. You wont know what you need until you use one, so I decided to design and make my own. And what's better than using recycled material to achieve this! If you need a scraper, let me know. I make them to order. More pictures coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment